05 September 2026

Solea solea - Sole - Tong

Solea solea  (Linnaeus, 1758)

Sole - Tong 

Bergse Diepsluis, the Netherlands, 27-9-2022. Specimen A.

Bergse Diepsluis, the Netherlands, 27-9-2022. Specimen A.


Strada Costiera, Trieste, Italy, 4-9-2022. Specimen B.

Strada Costiera, Trieste, Italy, 4-9-2022. Specimen B.

Strada Costiera, Trieste, Italy, 30-8-2019.

Dreischor - Gemaal, the Netherlands, 2-7-2020.

Dreischor - Gemaal, the Netherlands, 2-7-2020.

Westhinder - Oosthinder bank, North Sea - Belgium*, 16-8-2023. In vitro photo specimen C. 

 
Westhinder - Oosthinder bank, North Sea - Belgium*, 16-8-2023. In vitro photo specimen C. 


* Collected with the VLIZ research vessel RV Simon Stevin, beam trawl track 2, coordinates: start 51° 32.121’ N – 2° 38.534’ E - stop 51ยบ 33.415’ N – 2° 38.663’ E. 
At first I was told this is Pegusa lascaris, but I doubt it. I am missing the typical colour pattern on the mid-pectoral fin of this species. And the dorsal and anal fins are lacking regularly scattered brownish rays (Louisy, 2015).